The New Aged Care Quality Standards (2019) require that aged care facilities meet the new Antimicrobial Stewardship (AMS) Clinical Care Standard.
Facilities must ensure that:
- Staff understand the principles of AMS.
- Be able to provide evidence or records show that the organisation educates relevant members of the workforce in antimicrobial resistance and strategies to reduce the risk of increasing resistance to antibiotics.
- Provide evidence of AMS policy and process to support the appropriate administration of antibiotics.
- Evidence of care strategies used to minimise the need for antibiotics.
- Policy documents that detail infection prevention and control procedures that include risk assessment and risk management strategies, and instructions for the workforce.